So you’ve mastered your CBD game – what’s next on the road to wellness? We at Plants with Benefits suggest a dive into the world of adaptogens!
We love incorporating adaptogens into our wellness routine, as they combine effortlessly with the benefits of CBD. In the past we touched on terpenes and the special entourage effect they create in our products. Adding adaptogens into your daily mix can cause a similar entourage sensation of overall wellness, as the CBD and herbs play to each other’s strengths.
What is an adaptogen?
An adaptogen is a natural substance considered to help the body adapt to stress and exert a normalizing effect upon bodily processes. We like to think of them as herbal pharmaceuticals. In fact, you may already know about adaptogens and use them, without even realizing it. Ever heard of ginseng?
According to Healthline, when we face a stressor, either physical or mental, our bodies go through a three-stage adaptation response: alarm, resistance and exhaustion. Adaptogens are our secret weapon to stay in the resistance phase longer and allow our body to cope, without crashing.
In other words, adaptogens can combat fatigue, enhance mental performance, ease depression and anxiety, and help you thrive rather than just muddle through. So what are some of our favorites?
Our top 5 favorite adaptogens:
- Ashwagandha – ashwagandha deals with the busy nature of modern life. Used to improve vitality and to aid recovery after chronic illness, it invigorates when fatigued, eases the impact of stress and anxiety, and aids sleep.
- Astragalus – one of the most popular tonic herbs in China, it has a sweet taste and is a warming tonic. It’s particularly suited to young, active people, increasing stamina and endurance, and improving resistance to the cold.
- Lion’s Mane – the all-natural brain booster! Lion’s Mane helps improve memory, boosts creativity, helps with concentration and improves mental clarity.
- Reishi Mushroom – Reishi mushrooms have been called the “mushroom of immortality” and are full of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds. They’ve been shown to have analgesic effects, so are perfect to help you relax. A drug-free Xanax!
- Rhodiola – Rhodiola has pronounced medicinal activity, enhancing the body’s ability to deal with stresses of all kinds. Similar to ginseng, rhodiola acts on the central nervous system, supporting memory and concentration. It even helps to relieve nervous exhaustion and mild to moderate depression!
We pulled most of this info from The Encyclopedia of Herbal Medicine, a fascinating book with herbs and remedies for common ailments. We highly recommend learning more, the adaptogen universe is endless!
CBD + adaptogen power couples:
Adaptogens can be taken on their own, but it is far more fun to create new combinations with CBD to cash in on the entourage effect! Here are some of our CBD + adaptogen power couples, to achieve different results:
- Oregon oil + astragalus = Our Oregon oil is known for its recovery-boosting benefits. Combined with astragalus, which increases stamina and endurance, this is a one-two punch for anyone on the go that needs to treat their body right!
- CBD Pre-Rolls NY Lifter + Lion’s Mane = focus and energy like no other! Spark up a pre-roll, drop some lion’s mane tincture into some water, and you’ll teach Einstein a thing or two about quantum theory.
- CBDots + ashwagandha = off to dream land! We like to nibble on a CBDot and sip some tea with a dropper of aswagandha in it before bed.
But don’t just take our word for it – there’s some gorgeous content on Instagram to get your creative wellness and adaptogen juices flowing. We’re currently crushing on Tonya Papaniko, the founder of Rainbo where you can find excellent mushroom tinctures, and enjoy her colorful content. If you really want to deep dive into the world of mushroom appreciation, visit Sophia Roe’s Instagram. We can’t promise you won’t spend hours going down these rabbit holes…
View this post on Instagram
In conclusion, we strongly suggest you try some of your own combinations and get creative! Just be sure to share any inventive recipes with us so we can try them out too.
As always, if you have health conditions and allergies (or just are curious), please consult with your doctor before incorporating adaptogens into your daily routine. Happy mixing!